|Basil seeds - image released into the public domain by author Madhavi|
|Basil plant- image source - wiki - public domain image|
|Basil seeds soaked in water -image released into the public domain by author Madhavi.|
- Sweet basil or the Ocimum basilicum is a very popular herb used in cooking.
- This plant is an insect and snake repellent.It also has many valid medicinal properties.
- The leaves release aromatic oils when crushed so, they were used as hand deodorizers.
- The seeds swell up when soaked in water with a thin layer of mucilage around them.These are used in desserts and drinks.
- In South India ,a spoonful of soaked seeds are mixed in a glass of water.Drinking this 'cools' the body during summers.
(to be used in moderate quantities)
Names in different regional languages : Rudrajada,Bhoo tulasi,Karpoora tulsi,Mishti tulasi,Sabza,Ram tulasi and Arjaka in Sanskrit.